Sometimes indoor plants are affected by midges. This happens for various reasons, the most common of which are excessive soil moisture or a low-grade substrate purchased in a store.
Insects can destroy domestic flowers, and therefore get rid of midges should be as soon as possible.
What might you need
In the fight against midges you need to stock up:
- potassium permanganate;
- orange peel;
The insect control algorithm is as follows.
Isolation of diseased plants
- Infected flowers should be placed separately from healthy ones: this is a necessary measure to prevent the spread of insects. Experienced growers are advised to process healthy plants, because a small number of larvae may not even be noticed. In addition, such measures serve as excellent prevention.
- Watering restriction. High humidity is favorable for midges: in such an environment, insects actively develop and multiply, and the appearance of parasites, as a rule, is a signal of soil acidification.
- Processing solution of potassium permanganate. Dissolve a small amount of the drug in room temperature water. The exact proportions are not specified, but the composition should turn out to be pale pink: a high concentration of potassium permanganate can cause burns to the root system of the plant. With the prepared solution, moisten the substrate in a pot of a plant infected with midges.
- Soap solution. Grind laundry soap and stir in a small amount of settled water at room temperature to obtain a slightly concentrated solution. The resulting composition to water the soil of a sick plant.
- Garlic attack. Cut a few roots of the root crop into thin strips and spread on the soil surface, in which there is a flower affected by midges. Insects cannot stand the smell of garlic.
- Orange flavoring. The essential oils contained in the peel of an orange are also unbearable for midges. It is recommended to peel the peel from the fruit, chop into strips, let it dry a little and stick the blanks in flower pots.
- Purchased insecticides. If folk methods did not help, you can resort to poisons of industrial production. Drugs are used in strict accordance with the instructions. Usually, the course of treatment lasts 2 weeks and involves watering the plant with a composition every 7 days. The most effective, judging by the reviews: Agravertin, Fufanon, Inta-Vir, Fitoverm, Aktara. These insecticides are considered the safest.
- If the listed measures did not help to overcome midges, only soil replacement remains. If the case is not too running, you can remove the upper layers of the substrate and replace with fresh ones. With severe infection, the plant should be transplanted into new soil. Before planting, calcine the earth in an oven or keep it in the cold for a day, and scald the pot with boiling water or treat it with potassium permanganate or soda diluted in water for disinfection.
In order to prevent the appearance of midges, it is necessary to cut off dried and rotten leaves in time, observe moderate watering and not use tea leaves to feed flowers, as well as sprinkle soil with marble chips or coarse sand.